Took the dog for a walk today
Took my wife to the matinee
Took my mom to the high school play
And now we host the cast par-tay
* * *
Idly surfing for evidence of people making their escape. Crawled along an intertube and found pictures of the one SCA event I ever went to.
I'll not forget it. I was desperate to be a part of medievalist activities. I had been to the Renaissance Faire. I was a geek and a reader of Sword & Sorcery and terribly lonely. But I had a nicely compliant girlfriend and she wore a peasant dress and I rented some tights and we took the bus from North Berkeley up into Kensington for a Twelfth Night Revel.
January 4, 1975 -- There are pictures of the event, pretty much as I remember it. I'm not in any pictures. We floated on the periphery, shy and uninvolved, and then fled once my inability to merge became terminal.
* * *
Laughter fills the hall. The play closed tonight, and all the kids are here, gorged on our food, sprawled in our furniture, intertwined like so many puppies, good kids, girls and boys full of life and energy and love and promise. Right now, at this moment, I hear cheering. Whatever reason.
Out there somewhere, there are kids who are desperate and lonely and cannot merge. But mine are not among them, and for that my gratitude has no limit.
(And those lonely kids have my sympathy, and hopeful thoughts. I can't do anything for them, but I will always know they're out there.)
4 comments:
I know exactly what you're saying. I find it amazing that I was such a weirdo outsider, and yet my kids both fit in and are relatively normal. They have friends, they get invited to parties all the time, they get asked out by normal boys, they dance, they have fun.
The downside is that I wonder if they care about the lonely weirdos who don't fit in. I don't know how they could. I think a kid like me would be invisible to girls like that.
I was that kid longer than not growing up. Sosososo shy. Think you had to be somewhat the outsider to appreciate the compassion on the other side. Just look at "Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion."
Don, you're so a poet in a cubicle.
Society for Creative Anachronism--right? So what if one was too shy and too weird even to join the "men in tights?"
I too know how gratifying it is to see my kids grow up having more fun that I did.
I remember those brutal years far too well. I remember wandering the Berkely Hills on graduation night, committing many crude acts in an hours long rage of vandalism through the world I thought I hated. That was rough night.
Thank God it never happened again. I did my best to turn my back on that when we left BHS.
Post a Comment