Sunday, November 02, 2008

PuDaNaNoDiMo

It's explained elsewhere. I won't be doing the Da part.

So, like, I've written zero today. Actually whining about it to the whole wide web rather than just to everyone within hearing is intended to force my motor to start. I had no ideas but I did do something interesting this year and decided what the hell, I'll just write about that but change the names. So now I'm embarking on a sort of Lethal Attraction at Burning Man kind of idea. It shouldn't be impossible, either in the twelfth draft or in the hands of a competent writer, to give Black Rock City a sinister cast. It is, after all, dark and full of hiding places and absolutely built out of anonymity. But the story can't get dark for a long time. Right now I'm just sort of remembering it in fictional form, and already I've noticed how cleverly my conversations reveal the tensions between the middle-aged protagonist and his wife. I'm inventive like that. :P

Thing that stops me is, fictionalizing memory is fine, but what pulls the reader? What's the point of Scene II, if I've already established who's who in Scene I? What's going to happen, what little snippet of information, that will be enormously important later, is going to be revealed while banging the virgin gong at the gate? And now

*slap* *slap*

Wake up, you fool! It's National Novel Writing Month! You don't try to write well! You don't waste any time having it make sense! Just write the fucking thing!

But

*slap*

4 comments:

Paula said...

My idea sux!!! Oh well. The beauty thing about this is I can segue right into another idea because it's all short story stuff. I'll just change the font color or sumpin.

Teacake said...

It's not explained anywhere that Google can find, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

What's the point of Scene II, if I've already established who's who in Scene I?

You won't know until later. Taking out the scenes that don't move plot or character forward is called editing. This is something you do in December, or later. For now, just write.

Don said...

It was here.

Teacake said...

Hee. Not sure how I missed that.