I had a fun time with my mom a couple days after Xmas. Fun times together were always rare for us, just because of how time and chance put us together. But I love her and as someone three to the fourth she keeps pretty active and I’m proud of her for that. She’s a docent now and then at the Asian Art Museum in the City and I went with her to check it out. We took BART. The station happened to have sign showing where we were going.
First, the interesting part. The Kabul Museum held treasures of inestimable value recalling four thousand years of urban culture, including rule by Alexander and his generals, the empire of the Kushans, trade routes between Rome and China, and many other epochs in that country’s rich and turbulent history. In the mid 1990s it was used as a military base and largely destroyed. What was left was ransacked by the Taliban. In 2003, when a semblance of stability returned to the country, it was found that many of the most valuable objects had been stored away in metal boxes in the basements of the Presidential Palace. Museum staff had done this at great personal risk to save the collection. Now the collection is touring the world, where it is probably safer than in Afghanistan.
The critter in the main hall was cute.
Now, it’s a little known fact that Don of What Is Hip is a reincarnated soul. You scoff! But look at the past lives I found in the ancient art of this land traversed by the footloose peoples of old. It’s like a photo album of snapshots from my former days.
For example, those wonderful palace parties! The lyre music, the smiles, the fetchingly unabashed adornment with naught but body jewelry. Oh, and the pyramidal cakes, who could forget?
Oh my gods, I can’t believe they carved this picture! It was so funny! Basically, when she got down -- and she was so hot! –- the couple behind her were all, I mean, and that’s me on the left, there was a mix-up of, you know, I mean we were all pretty gone by this time, it like flew apart and we’re all holding the pieces. I about died. I guess you pretty much had to be there.
Here’s me playing baseball in the uniform of the Begram Ball Bashers and yes, it was cold that day.
This shows how no matter how quietly I come to bed, she always gets woken up. Here she is bitching me out while I’m getting set to brush my teeth. I’m not sure why there’s an elephant floating above her ass, probably represents the dream she had when I first tip-toed into the room. Note the large Bactrian toothbrush.
Some things never change, such as dancing like a fool a la Burning Man. And yep, you guessed it. Another cold day.
I think these chicks were on 'ludes. The chick to the left was all, Hi. Hi. That was it, she kept saying Hi. She was hella fine, too, if you don’t mind a little gummatous necrosis. You can sorta see the attitude, though, can’t you? They were all like, we’re too hot for you. So I was all like, later, bitchiz.
Sometimes it’s surprising how much later later can be.
When I took this picture, Mom came up and said, “Yes, they are.”
My photographic skills didn’t quite catch the essence of the depiction here, but trust me: They are. And all wrapped up in each other while they’re at it. Geez, you two. Get a realm.
My mom gave the talking tour, by the way, to tourists and jewel thieves and whoever else was wandering through, and did a fine job of it. Later we walked past the old opera house to a cafe for lunch, and took the F for much of its route (see my bitchin’ picture atop a recent depressing post), and pushed our way through crowds of Fisherman’s Wharf tourists, whose basic nature hasn’t changed since Mark Twain’s day, and generally enjoyed our favorite city as one cannot help but do, however arbitrary the timing, locations, and weather.
12 comments:
LOL! That was great. I had no idea you were such an exhibitionist. Put some pants on, man!
Hilarious.
But what the Taliban did to the giant Buddhas in Bamiyan should be considered a warcrime.
We had such a fine time in the city of my birth on New Years Eve and day. It's almost enough to get me to move back. Almost.
I love the Asian Art Museum, and all the others as well.
Loved this post!
This is my favorite post of the day! I really was LOL'ing, plus I like nekkid guys A LOT even if it is cold outside. ;-)
Oops! I forgot to subscribe to comments.
great photo essay,Your take on the art is a scream. do they still make ludes?
Love the camel balls.
Guess this makes you rock hard, eh?
Down to the alabaster abs. Just don't take me for granite.
...bad-dum-bum!
It's decided - now I'm TOTALLY going to Burning Man next year. Love the pics!
Post a Comment