Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sniff Me Out Like I Was Tanqueray

So I never heard of Amy Winehouse until some news headline flashed by, and here she is winning Grammys ‘n shit. Popped her name into pandora to give a listen. Sounds fine, whatever. She’s got a pseudo-R&B thing going on, and maybe I don’t listen to enough pop radio to keep my pseudo-R&B ears tuned in to the subtleties. I like Alicia Keyes, maybe they’re a similar genre, what do I know. The great thing about the article I read was it said Herbie Hancock won something too. Yay jazz!

The school went to a local jazz fest recently and it reminded me of my storied youth, though I admit the best part was seeing a band from another school with a kid in it we’ve known since baby days, and his parents. There are some fine young musicians out there. I always tell ‘em, don’t give it up. I can still hear an old neighbor of mine, telling me when I was seventeen or so, don’t give it up! Well, I did. But the genetics ring true and both my boys are performing, one way or another, and the day isn’t over for me yet either. Seriously thinking of getting a replacement horn and cranking it up again. What’s an hour a day when all I’m committed to otherwise is a serious new job, working out daily, real writing (don’t laugh), revitalizing my ancient Jeep in time for summer trips and getting some of the landscaping done we’ve been putting off all decade. What’s another hour a day, right?

The next obvious question has this answer: It helps somehow, I don’t know why, it just does. I suppose if I really needed to stop blogging I would, but then I may as well stop checking the online news, or reading other people’s stuff, or I don’t know, and would that really serve a purpose? Noop.

So what about the singing, you ask. You don’t? Anyway, we had a great quartet, we did, but it is defunct, as one guy retired and another one quit the firm and took his wife and four kids and moved away to Montana. And then last week I ran into him in the stairwell. Seems he couldn’t sell his house. No surprise. Then he couldn’t get an engineering job in Montana. It’s like you have to know people or something. Well, um, yes, or rather I should say: DUH. So he came back and the good news is the company hired him back but the bad news is he now works for the other guy who was in the quartet, and he’s getting to know him a whole lot better than he ever really wanted to and doesn’t think he could take singing with him on top of working with him. So no reunion. I said I understood totally, and it was true. I know exactly what he’s talking about. And that’s where I leave it.

So, speakin’ of jazz, doesn’t Family Guy have the best music? And The Incredibles. I may have to go get the soundtrack. Every house needs some faux sixties secret agent music, and I don’t mean just tracks from Austin Powers (though we have that too). Yup. What was that music Bob Wilkins played on Creature Features again? I don’t care if it was cheesy late-night seventies television, it was absolutely brilliantly inappropriate to accompany second-rate horror movies.

I’m beating myself up here. Why do I think blog posts should be short and have a point? Something’s nagging me about it. I’d better post this before that nagging voice compels me to do something rash. (And I don't mean put in even more links.)

13 comments:

Dr Zen said...

I wouldn't think of Amy Winehouse and Alicia Keys as being in the same genre, but I suppose they are. "Coffee table music" is what I call it. Inoffensive jazzy-souly-R&B stuff that middle class people listen to because they're afraid of anything with balls. Some of it is okay. I bought a couple of Winehouse CDs in a fit of weakness, but I don't actually listen to them. I also have Lamb's greatest hits, which are mostly rubbish.

Still, it beats jazz, which sucks arse mostly. I suppose I'd like it better if I understood it but it seems like such hard work getting to know it.

Roy said...

Hey Don! I think Dr. Zen just agreed with you!

No; really!

No opinion. I like listening to Cheryl Crowe's voice, but she could probably just as well be talking as singing. I don't like Fran Drescher's voice. Too bad you can't put Chery' Crowe's voice in Fran Drescher. Uhm, and then make her a normal, accessible woman with low standards.

That'd be sweet.

asha said...

Never heard Amy Winehouse sing but I'm already sick of her. I like jazz and "real" blues though, but whatever talks to ya.

I hope you pick up with the horn again, because I wish I would pick up with the keyboard again. It sits forlornly in the front room and every morning I cringe a little inside before making it invisible for another day. I don't understand. I want to play it but everyday I am too busy. Blogging.

Harry said...

Bob Wilkins show started with a snippet from a Neal Hefti thing called "Gotham City Swing Band" or something like that. I'd kill to get a hold of it. I think it's on an album available on Amazon.

Watched the Grammys last night because Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis did a spot near the end, fronted/intro'd by John Fogerty. It was smmmmokin' in a way that almost nothing else on that show was. Alicia Keyes was pretty damned good, but most of the others left me flat. There just wasn't much swing to any of it. Even Aretha Franklin failed to light me up.

Winehouse did a set via satellite from London. She looked like she might topple over at any moment from lack of crank.

Anonymous said...

Asha, Don, Harry--it occurs to me that between us all, we have the makings of an excellent band. Piano, trumpet, bagpipes, guitar, playing some Bartok, man, that'd be awesome. And I think I can get us a gig at Hallmark.

Harry said...

Roy! Excellent idea! Let's do it. I can play "Who'll Stop the Rain" on the pipes, and a decent rendition of "Greenland Whale Fisheries." Not much Bartok on board, but I'm game to learn any arrangements.

Don said...

I'd kill to get a hold of it. I think it's on an album available on Amazon.

I'm thinkin', of those two methods, you probably only need to use one.

Teacake said...

I guess I'm more of a shallow cliche kind of girl (or maybe one of those fearful middle classers Zen talks about), but for me Jazz means Satchmo, Ella, and Billie. It does not mean Herbie Hancock. I cannot get into all that new-fangled modern shit.


real writing (don’t laugh)

Why would we laugh? We've been on you for years. :)

Anonymous said...

Wait. Wait. If you can play "Who'll Stop the Rain" on the pipes, that means I can play Greenland Whale Fisheries on the Tele.

Paula said...

Genetics are amazing. My girls rock at math, just like Jeff. They barely even need to study. One example and they've got it. I made good grades, but I had to do the homework. S is also a goofball who makes up her own words and loves parody. Ahem.

As far as music, I suck. I like old Top 40 crap and Best Ofs.

Don, I like your rambling posts.

asha said...

"And I think I can get us a gig at Hallmark."


Great idea. And I can probably get us gigs at some of the uh ... smaller casinos here in Nevada. It's always better to work your way up than work your way down.

Don said...

"At 4pm, on the West Room Second Stage, Doctor Lyzard's Lonely Blogs Club Band will perform an eclectic selection of Bela Bartok numbers, Stephen Foster tunes and an ever-pleasing round of Newfoundland and Labrador sea shanties ... "

Yep. Can hear it now.

Anonymous said...

What's to really be understood about jazz, or any music really, other than how listening to it makes you feel? Everything else is disposable in the final analysis.

Herbie has cred, BTW. He goes back well over forty years. He's jazz, just as Miles was still jazz in the 70s.