Thursday, April 19, 2007

Fursday Five

(Explanation)

1. What is the single most ridiculously unnecessary purchase you've ever made?

It’s possible that I once bought cigarettes. But that was hardly ridiculous if in my case entirely unnecessary, so we’ll go with that stupid-looking brown leather jacket I bought in the late 70s that I’ve still never worn. Sorry, never hired Van Halen for a birthday party. (Ooh, jeez, now that I think, the most ridiculously unnecessary purchase I've ever made would really have to be a certain firearm, thus combining ridiculous and unnecessary with .223 caliber.)

2. What is your favorite season and why?

Spring! Winter’s cold is gone except for a welcome morning chill, the days are getting longer, the air is getting warmer, the world is turning bright green, fruit trees are blossoming, summer’s on its way, birds are singing, “birds” are wearing less ...

3. Who would you want to play you in the movie adaptation of your life?

Harrison Ford. Woody Harrelson. Judge Reinhold. Gregory Peck. Twenty five years ago someone thought I looked like Sting. But these are all leading men. The actor for me would really have to be a sidekick, a co-star, a character actor whose name no one can quite remember.

4. What's your fondest memory of your bestest childhood friend?

There are many. One would be our long walks through Tilden Park where it rambles along the crest of the Berkeley Hills, far from urban noise, telling tall tales in various British accents of our derring-do in foreign wars.

5. What is the most disgusting thing you've ever eaten?

Some indescribable uncooked creature of the sea, served last summer in a Japanese restaurant in China. The texture, the flavor, even the temperature of the thing made my body scream for rejection of every kind. But I bravely kept it aboard. Because I actually ate it, this beats the so-called “stinky tofu” they have in Taipei that smells of stomach acid. Because I ate it on purpose, it also beats the baby-poop I found under my fingernails one day when I was a young father after eating lunch.

Here is where I put the rules if you want me to carry it forward but I deleted all that part because I've only thought of one question so far and my life is hella ramping up now and for the next couple months and I really need to be bloggering less, a lot less, wish me luck. But I'm not gonna delete this thing, sheesh, nobody does that!

9 comments:

Paula said...

I could totally see Harrison Ford as you. Not the other ones though.

Anonymous said...

That very last part smelled of cop-out, BIGTIME!!!!!!!!!!


I would want to be played by Benji. Then everyone would say "That Joe the Troll is SOOO CUUUUTE!!!!!"

Don said...

cop-out

Big time.

Granny Snark said...

Every single time I see Sting, I say to myself, "My goodness, he is a dead-ringer for Don!"

Don said...

Nuh UUHH. I still have my hair.

Harry said...

Aye, Laddie! 'Twas at Dargai back in '97 and I'll never forget it!
Gurkhas and Gordons, all mixed together, Piper Findlater there against the boulder, shot through the ankles but still playing "Haughs of Cromdale" as we took the heights from the Afridis. Och aye. 'Tween Johnny Gurkha and the lads from Aberdeen and Angus nothing can stand for long.

Don said...

When a lad I thought not enough adventure in farmin'. But the soil here, it's poor. No moisture. A man needs somethin' to keep him in his grave.

Harry said...

Lookouts report Zulus to the southwest, sir. Thousands of 'em.

Roy said...

The guides were murmuring last night, and this morning all but one of them has turned back.